Nutrient Information & Recipe
Delicious, affordable, high-protein, low-fat and simple to prepare — with all this going for it, it’s easy to understand why fitness-minded people make chicken their go-to meal of choice. Problem is, you can get in a rut with the same ol’ one or two recipes that can make mealtime a snooze. Fortunately, jazzing up chicken — without junking it up with empty calories — is easier than you think. Try this fast, simple and zesty recipe that takes about 5 minutes of prep time, and 15 minutes to cook — complete with side dish!
|Makes 4 servings|
- 1 pound of chicken boneless breast
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- The juice from one lemon (or the juice from 1/2 orange)
- The zest from one lemon (or the zest from 1/2 orange)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pepper
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Your choice of two items from the following list:
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 small bag of frozen peas & carrots
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup couscous
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray a large frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and heat to medium-high.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and toss in a bowl with flour, salt and pepper until all pieces are lightly coated.
- Add chicken to hot skillet and stir to brown all sides (about 5 minutes).
- Add soy sauce and zest of lemon or orange.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously, then add the lemon (or orange) juice, 1 cup stock and cook for 1 minute once the mixture has reached a boil.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring the remaining stock to a boil in a separate pot. Add olive oil, stir in peas & carrots and couscous, cover pot and remove from heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff up the couscous, tossing in your choice of fresh herbs from the list.
- Place a bed of the couscous in a bowl, spooning chicken over the top.
- Enjoy! Store your leftovers in meal storage containers.